Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Changes ...and Luongo!

So, I recently put on my facebook status:

Nicole VanWoudenberg is looking forward to new changes in our lives. More to come in a blog post soon. Stay tuned!

So, now I need to make good on that and actually blog about a new change.

I am going to officially enter the workforce again, come June 1. Yes, you read that correctly. I am going to be a working-mom.

I had applied for and received the position of receptionist/moa for a new midwifery group in Walnut Grove. Many of you already know them. Triton midwifery is changing its face, and becoming 2 different practices. One midwife, CJ is staying as Triton, and the other two, RW and JN (and the hopefuly new midwife TB) are becoming "Grove Midwifery". I will be working for R and J. How cool is that!

I start June 1st, and will be working 2.5 days one week, and then 3.5 days the next week, alternating. It's actually great, because it also means I can still teach in the evenings.

A few thoughts about this new change:

~ it means we've got to be super organized as a family! My days are from 8:30 am - 5 pm (except on Wednesdays where I work a half day). It looks like Martin and Alanna will need to learn to cook, and I'll need to use my slow cooker more often, as well as start to cook double/triple batches of certain things when I can. (hence a recent fb status!)

~ it means I will no longer be able to attend Wednesday morning Bible study (coffee break). This is huge. I've attended this coffee break program since we joined Aldergrove church in thewinter of 1996. That's a LONG time to be a part of things! I did story hour for years, and then joined the bible study. I will miss these ladies very much in the fall when they start up again, and I can't join them. It also means I will miss League Day for the first time in years.

~ it means staying within my field of interest, sort of. But I get to see pregnant mamas and their babies and share in their joy. It will be a challenge to not dish out advice! :-)

~ it means working for/with two of the best midwives I've ever met. I have done a few births with R and J, and they've all been fabulous experiences. Anyone who can receive care from them is getting quality care and is very fortunate.

~ I am VERY excited and look forward to starting this new phase of life. But I am nervous too - it's a whole new experience! I believe I'm up to the challenge, and by God's grace I'll be able to learn what I need to learn in order to become successful in this new endeavour.

~ I will miss certain things like being a classroom mom ....

~ I will have to stop giving piano lessons, and we have pulled Braden out of karate (for a number of different reasons), to give us a bit of breathing room. I won't give up choir. It's still fun, and a creative outlet, and I need that energy. Besides, for me, it's Kingdom work. I enjoy contributing this way to congregational life.

~ I am still going to teach prenatal classes - I can't give that up - I love it too much! Those will be long days - working until 5 pm, and then teaching that evening. I won't be going home on those days as it doesn't make sense, so I'll have dinner, head to the teaching site by 6 pm and teach from 7-9 pm. Yes, that means I'll leave the house at 8:10 a.m., and not get home until after 9:30 pm. Only one night a week though!

~ I can assure all my readers and all those who hear about this new job that confidentiality is of great importance to me. (all my past students can surely attest to this). If you are pregnant and want to be in the Grove Midwifery practice, you can rest assured that that knowledge will not leave the office. I am true for my word.

~ I'd like to ask for your prayers as I start this job, and as our family begins this new phase of life. Pray that we would rely on God's strength, and that I would learn quickly (does the phrase "can't teach an old dog new tricks" apply??), and that Martin and the kids would also adjust to me working during the day instead of just in the evenings. We can't do this without prayer!


And finally ..... to end off this blog post: Martin's family gave him this wonderful gift for his birthday tonight: LOVE YOU BABE~

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations - what a big family decision you've made, sounds awesome though. I pray it all works out for you. We will miss you at bible study, but every new chapter has something different to get used too - may God guide you and give you all you need to fulfill your new duty! Exciting stuff!
    Cool jersey Martin!
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really thankful that you were able to find work that still allows you to see those beaming pregnant moms. I know how you needed this job after Martin had to go back to school and that means extra expenses, etc. Sigh...trust me, that was/is a leap of faith and a sacrifice for our/your whole family. BUT all worth it...although when certain bills come in, I have to remind myself again. :) I really hope and pray that it all works out. Looks like you have it figured out....dropped a few things and added a thing or two. Your youngest will be in kindergarten already in September so no need for guilt, okay? Hope that the outcome means less stress for your family rather than more stress. Take care! I really think you would be great for that job. You're a natural with people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the jersey, but I would have picked something that had some orange and blue on it with a big "Oilers" emblem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your youngest will be in Grade 1 already, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nic, this sounds pretty exciting! We're praying for you guys, that God would give you everything you need at this time.
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new chapter of your adventure will begin soon...praying for strength, wisdom and patience as you go through your training in your new job and as you and your family transition to you working etc.
    I know that Martin will help out a lot...he's awesome at that!
    We will totally miss you at bible study....we ALL have learned so much from you. Thank God that you are able to still go to a BIble study though and didn't need to sacrifice all of it.
    You WILL do great Nic! And you know I'll try to help out wherever I can :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news! I think that's a wonderful fit for you. You'll get to be part of the "entire" pregnancy, appts an all. God bless your decisions and help you all to adjust. I'm sure Women's society will welcome you in the evening. (-: Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is GREAT news! I wish you all the best as you enter this new chaper in your life. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole! That's fantastic news, I'm very excited for you and your family! Congratulations. I can see how its bittersweet as you have to give up some things that you enjoy as well. All the best as you adjust. I didn't know the midwives were making another clinic, exciting for them as well! I'm sad that the opportunity won't be there for me to be under their care (DV) next baby. I will pray that all goes well for you as you begin this new chapter in your life.
    Nadine Bysterveld

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Nicole! So exciting! Definately sounds like a job you'll absolutely love so those days will just fly by! Lisa W

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone!! We're excited too. And yes, Rose, Ethan will be in grade 1 in the fall. And my awesome, special, love with all my heart sister Leona has graciously agreed to watch Ethan on non-K days that I work in June. So, it will be good.
    Yes, it is work that I HAVE to do. I don't "choose" to leave the home and make income, I do it because it's necessary. But, I am ever so grateful an opportunity like this came up, that Martin's work affords him the ability to be home during the summmer with the kids, AND that he can take kids home with him after school because they all work/go to school in the same place! God is good. And so thankyou everyone for your congratulations!

    Question though ....who's the anonymous person? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well if you have to work what a great place to work at! Congrats! All the best in the big changes you and your family will have to adjust to. May God bless you in this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Nicole! You will be great, I'm sure! Will both practices still be working out of the same office?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Nicole! Wishing you all the best with your new job, I'm sure you will do great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tanya - yes, both practices out of the same office. I'm not sure who CJ's receptionist will be yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go, Nicole! Definitely a huge decision for you and your family... praying that the adjustment is a smooth one. Curious though - why is CJ operating on her own, and the other 3 together? I was under the impression they were splitting equally - 2 + 2...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynette -- CJ wants to cut way back on her working hours, whereas the others are looking to work fulltime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicole, Thanks for the update. Will be praying for all of you as you make this huge transition.

    Psalm 27:14: Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!

    ReplyDelete