Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Postpartum blues...and more.

In my prenatal classes, we spend 4 hours dealing with breastfeeding and postpartum. Yes, couples who are expecting are usually very focused on the labour and birth portion of things. And so they should be. But just like when a couple is engaged and planning to get married, and they spend lots of time focusing on and preparing for the wedding, they also need to spend time preparing for marriage itself. The wedding day is a very important day – especially in Christianity. It signifies vows to each other in the presence of Almighty God and all your guests. But it is only one day, and while lots of attention should be given to it, you’d be remiss to forget about learning the ins and outs of marriage – especially communication.

As a Lamaze certified childbirth educator, I feel the same way about postpartum. I do spend hours talking about normal labour, and how to make informed decisions, but there is more. And that “more” encompasses a whole lot more time than just the days or few days you’re working to get your baby out.

2 hours is spent on breastfeeding. I wish it was mandatory for all new and expectant parents to take a course on breastfeeding. And I wish it was mandatory for all nurses – whether hospital or public health – to take the most recent breastfeeding courses for professionals out there. In our culture we are at a huge disadvantage. The vast majority of us have not seen breastfeeding happen in a normal way. In other cultures, breastfeeding is a way of life. Their children see their siblings being nursed. Sisters see their sisters nurse. And no, they don’t cover up. And it’s seen as normal. For them breastfeeding isn’t an option. They see it, and they don’t question “will I be able to do it?” – that would be tantamount to questioning “will I be able to walk?”. Here in Western civilization we see bottle feeding way more than breastfeeding. And this has hampered our ability to learn how to breastfeed. And so now, just as there are many new parents who have never held a newborn baby, there are many new parents who haven’t been exposed to breastfeeding. So education becomes a vital part of prenatal education. Sure, sometimes no amount of education can prepare you for some of the challenges that your baby may present you with. And that can make life difficult with a newborn baby.

You see, that’s why we spend 2 hours on postpartum. And many times I think it’s not enough. Generally speaking the postpartum period (up to 6 weeks for the sake of defining postpartum) is a difficult time ......whether it’s your first baby or your tenth. You’re usually exhausted from giving birth, perhaps you start postpartum with a serious lack of sleep, and now you have a baby that likes to be awake when you’re ready to go to sleep. Combine that with incision pain from a caesarean, or pain from stitches due to a tear or episiotomy, not being able to sit well, engorged breasts when milk comes in, hormonal shifts that lead to unexplained and excessive crying jags (of mom, not baby!), and a baby that wants to be held 24/7 ......... you can have a difficult postpartum. For some moms this all nicely resolves within a couple weeks – maybe the pain subsides, maybe the baby just automatically starts sleeping through the night (or at least limits mom to 1 night feeding), maybe the baby is very even tempered and doesn’t cry much. But other moms, and I think the vast majority of moms, things don’t settle down for a long time. They struggle with breastfeeding, their babies don’t sleep longer than 2- 2 ½ hours at a time, their babies are more fussy generally speaking, their physical recovery takes longer than average ......... and then, add 1-5 more other children who need your attention. Yikes! Yes, some of these moms have fabulous spouses who can take lots of time off. But some don’t.

For all the mistakes that were made in generations past regarding infant feeding (the introduction of formula as being better than breastmilk), or the way they thought babies couldn’t feel pain, or the way they counselled moms to just let baby cry it out in the basement so that babies would learn to sleep through the night from 4 weeks on (can you see attachment issues??), the way they thought solids would be fine at 1 month, etc ......there was something they did RIGHT which we don’t do here in western civilization anymore. STAY IN BED FOR THE FIRST WEEK or longer even!! Even when my mom had me 36 years ago, moms routinely stayed in hospital for 4-6 days! Of course, their belief back then that babies should have formula every four hours, and stay in the nursery wasn’t great. But at least moms were getting the rest they needed to get back on their feet again.

In other cultures (mostly Eastern cultures), it is not uncommon for a mother or mother-in-law to move in after a new baby is born and take care of the new family. Cook for them, clean for them, etc ...leaving the new mom to do what? REST! Bond with baby. Learn to breastfeed. Have what we affectionately call the “baby-moon”. In Holland, you would receive a nurse or midwife who would move in for a week to take care of you – why? Because the postpartum is tough enough without having to worry about the rest of the household. Postpartum blues/depression, while very much a hormonal/chemical imbalance, can be hindered or helped by the amount of postpartum care a mom receives. There is a cultural expectation in our society – (and within the Church) – that a mom should have a baby, and a few weeks later, be doing everything else she was doing before, fit back into her pre-pregnant clothing, plus take care of a new baby 24/7 AND look happy doing it!! In our churches, there is an expectation that we will have our babies baptized within 2 weeks or so. What does this do? It creates strain and stress that babies can feed off. (not positively either!). It makes a mom do awhole lot more than she should and would be able to otherwise. I’ve heard it said from older women “well, we did it! Young moms today are too soft. Buckle up and deal with it!” YIKES. That’s not fair .....comparisons shouldn’t be allowed! No wonder postpartum depression is creeping up, and is at least as high as 1 out of every 5 women. And that’s a conservative estimate!

We need to change the way we view postpartum and new mom/baby dyads. And in a Christian community, we can do so much for each other that many others wouldn’t have the benefit of. When I teach classes, I often ask them what kind of support they have in place. A surprising number haven’t got anything in place. Then again, there are the couples who do have a mom or mom-in-law coming in for a week or two.

In our Christian circles, we should be aware of what the postpartum can be like and sincerely offer our help. How? By offering to take the older kids for a day or two to let mom catch up on some sleep while baby is sleeping. By making meals so that mom – who may still be in pj’s at 4 pm – can focus on her baby rather than sweating about what to make for dinner. By offering to do some housework. By picking up groceries. By offering help in other areas --- by being there to lend an ear when she’s frustrated and needs someone to vent to. Some have suggested that a mom should prepare meals ahead of time. Why should others be expected to step in and do that for them? I agree, it's a good thing for moms to pre-make meals (if she's not on bedrest or just doesn't have any energy for that) - but we can still provide meals for the new family. And I'll suggest why. Because even after the 2-3 weeks that meals could be provided, there are more sleepless nights coming up. Growth spurts can lead to unending feeding sessions, teething, illness etc ....and those meals that mom perhaps spent time cooking extra of in her 9th month of pregnancy could be used then.

I can appreciate that often we don’t have time to help every new mom we know. Especially in our church circles, that could be a HUGE list! J And that’s where I believe some organized help would be beneficial. There shouldn’t be disparity in our church circles or in our community where one mom receives a tonne of help and another receives none. Sure, some moms would opt out of help, saying they truly don’t need it. That’s fine. But when I hear about the number of moms who DO struggle, who do have true baby blues/postpartum depression .....who do quit nursing because they can’t cope with that and everything else ...... then I think we need to step it up a notch. No one should HAVE to do it alone. This is why we have a communion of saints. "It takes a village to raise a child" - makes more sense in cultures where they really do share the load!

The first few days/weeks of a newborns life can set the stage for the next year or two. Don’t underestimate the importance of moms spending as much time with their babies as possible – babes in arms if you will, rather than relegated to a bouncy seat or the bed because mom has too much to do. Our first priority as a mom is to nurture those babies. And we CAN nurture them and bond with them when we receive good postpartum help.

16 comments:

  1. I was fortunate to have my mom stay with me for the first few weeks for two of my kids and that was wonderful! And in our church, I believe 3 meals are offered to new moms in the first week or so that they are home. It's not a lot, but it helps.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that was an awesome post Nicole!
    Mel VO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Nicole...I've been making meals ahead this time around...my main reason for not being at coffee break this morning ;O But I have to say it would be a lot easier with a little extra energy and without a watermelon getting in the way...oh well!
    I sorta agree with you on the whole 'baptism within 2 weeks' thing! With Russ I took much longer to heal b/c a) he was huge and b)was my first...and I honestly did not feel up to it but just figured this is what everyone else does! Took me a good month to feel 'back at it'. However, with Jocelyn I felt GREAT after a week, honestly. She was way smaller and delivery was quicker. So yeah, it totally depends. So I don't agree there should be pressure, if the reason is b/c baptism comes from circumcision then everyone ought to baptize within 8 days, right? My 2 cents :)

    Oh I should add someone once made the point that a 2 week old baby is more likely to sleep through the service than a 3 or 4 week old. Good point although, it's not a huge deal if mom walks out (unless it is right before the baptism I suppose).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole: this blog was beautiful, sensitive, and poignantly honest. All of it reminds me of an old plaque my mom used to have hanging on her wall. I used to see it as an "excuse"...however over time I saw it as a "babes in arms" mentality. Here it is; again, great post!

    Cleaning and scrubbing
    can wait till tomorrow,
    for babies grow up-
    I've learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs,
    dust got to sleep,
    I'm rocking my baby-
    and babies don't keep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nicole for another wonderful post. Thanks for being such an advocate for new moms. This post is a good reminder to those who forget what it is like to be a new mom, especially those first 3 months or so when you're up every 2 - 3 hours nursing even in the evening. Of course, this depends on the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, I loved your last three paragraphs and TOTALLY agree with you!! Enough of the supermom myth. I find it especially hard without a mother to come over and help. Don't get me wrong - we are always taken care of, however, with no one to move in, I find my husband takes on more responsibility. Do you think it's because older women, in the past got to stay in the hospital for 1-2 weeks and don't realize how stressful it CAN be, to be home right away?
    Just throwing thoughts out there...May is "I miss my Mom month" so don't mind me :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good post - you have so many things in here that i wish I knew when I had Chelsea. A lot of women say that the first baby moms should be fine, but I really did struggle with her ... it was so much of the unknown. With Silas I was the mom you are mentioning that got all the meals - I almost wish I hadn't mentioned it as I feel guilty whenever it is mentioned, like "how dare I get the meals and some other mom not". It helped me - I think I didn't suffer with postpartum depression because of the extra church help, like I did with Isaac. My Mum and family tried to help as much as possible and yes, my husband is capable too - but he was there to also help with the other children, not just cook so that I could deal with the rambunctious other 4 kids and new baby.I agree that as a church community we should be aware of the new moms and help them out - I don't think someone gets forgotten on purpose. You should totally start a rouster for the new moms, I'm sure a lot of women would hop on and help out - let me know if it works and I will be willing to join the list!
    I try to not take the 'formula vs breastfeeding' stuff personally - I still feel guilt over not 'sticking with it'. But as the lactation consultant told me, some women need help with giving birth - why would we assume that all women can nurse too?
    You are doing a great service to the moms out there (and dads) I do hope that you feel that. Everyone has their own opinion and with parenting a lot of toes can be stepped on, and knowledge is something wonderful and delicately spread - thank you for doing your part.
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audrey --- you absolutely should feel no guilt over the formula vs breastfeeding. Silas got a great start! Remember, anytime I write anything about formula and breastfeeding, that all 4 babies of mine received formula at one time or another. Do I regret it? To some degree yes. But, I've also learned to accept that I did the best I could with the knowledge I had at the time. There is no doubt whatsoever that some women just simply have a harder time nursing. But I do think it's more a cultural thing - a Western culture thing, because it truly isn't as much of an issue in other cultures. (this based on anthropologists in the childbearing field).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gloria - thanks for commenting - and you can be on the "miss my mom" month thing. Totally understandable!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree- great post! There is so much more we can do to help moms out. But I also think that husbands need to be the first line of support. Audrey mentioned that her husband filled the freezer for her... that is awesome! Maybe husbands need to be made more aware of how to ask for help if they see that their wife is struggling. The church community might not always know that the mom is having a hard time past the first few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Lisa. How do we help husbands become aware of that? Some hubby's are very perceptive and sensitive, and others, well, they aren't. They're gone all day, or mom hides it from him because he's an elder or on school board or works long hours out of necessity or ...etc.

    One other thing that I impress upon my students in class is that dads are postpartum too. We tend to exclude them thinking that it hasn't "affected" them. But many new dads can be overwhelmed too - especially since their work just keeps on going. So while it would be great for husbands to be the first line of support, in some cases, that may not be realistic, especially in the cases of fussy babies. (again, speaking from experience here!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steve wasn't aware of my postpartum, or at least not how bad it was affecting me - but I eventually got to the point of writing it down and handing him the journal page - where he responded that we needed help right away. Every situation is different with every woman and every baby, so I think a once over answer will not solve it. And what you are doing with helping them to be aware of their postpartum and that it even exists will help all parties involved.
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Audrey - thanks for commenting - and for being open about your experience. Have you ever considered getting in touch with the Pacific Postpartum Support Society as a support person for other moms?
    Every class I teach gets the info on ppd as well as where to go to get help. Sometimes I wish I could do more to prepare them for the realities of life with a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I am always thinking about what I will do when I am older to help out pregnant/new moms. (not that I don't help now but I am not able to do as much as I would like because I am busy with little ones) It's not only about helping others but it is others accepting help as well and putting aside any feelings about how their house looks or how they may look. I think people are willing to help but don't want to step on toes. I especially am thinking of those that don't have a mom who can come and help out, or have no mom at all.

    As for baptism, for my first two I had to bring pillows to church to sit on, and I wasn't able to enjoy the day at all, because I was still in pain and uncomfortable. With Dylan we waited an extra week, so he was 3 weeks old and it made all the difference. I think alot of people were a little shocked that we waited 3 weeks but you have to learn to do what is best for you and baby at the time and not worry about others. I take longer to get back on my feet and I am okay with that, and anyways do you think anyone is thinking about that anymore?? Nope.

    I also think a baby moon is really important! If you have older kids to let someone else take care of them for at least a week. As much as you may miss them I think it's important for nursing, bonding, healing and getting some good rest! And we shouldn't feel guilty about it either. Could make all the difference in how things go. Just my thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was an amazing post Nicole! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I agree with everyone, that a rouster for new Moms in our churches would be a fabulous idea. Meals alone are such a big help during that time.
    I also think that it should be mandatory for new parents to take a breastfeeding and/or postpartum course. Speaking for myself I know that it would have helped me immensely, being aware of what to expect and aware of the challenges that may arise. If I hadn't had the support from my midwives, breastfeeding counselor, and you, I know that I wouldn't have been able to keep breastfeeding. In our society I find there is so much pressure to bounce into the swing of things right away; to have your baby sleeping through the night, nursing with no issues, fit back into your pre-pregnancy clothes right away, cooking and cleaning, and like you said, look happy while doing it! When I talked with a breastfeeding counselor one question she asked me was; do you have other moms with new babies in your life right now? and ofcourse I said yes. Her question then was how things were going for them. I said very well, it seems like feedings are going well for everyone, their babies are sleeping very well, gaining weight etc. Then she asked how that made me feel, and all I could do was cry. I never thought about this before that moment, but when things don't go well, you think you are doing something wrong, you think that because you are having problems with postpartum issues that you are failing somehow. And that is FAR from the truth. EVERY baby is different, and being educated beforehand on what to expect along with support during, would be a great start to help minimize the number of women going through postpartum blues and depression.
    And my two bits on the formula vs. breastfeeing topic :) I think that as a Mother you need to make the best choice for you and your baby. "You're the Mom, you make the decisions" And with having the right knowledge, you shouldn't have regrets about your decision, or have anyone make you feel that you should. Breastfeeding is best, and there are so many benefits for you and your baby, but some people have a much more difficult time with nursing than others, and only the Mom can make the best decision :)
    Thanks again for posting this, I enjoy reading your blog. You have amazing insight on so many things.. you have a gift. keep up with the blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post!!! loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete