Wednesday, May 26, 2010

some humour in class

Last night I started a new 6 week series teaching for Douglas College at the Langley site.
6 wonderful new couples - all a bit excited, nervous, apprehensive, unsure .....etc.
I always start with an icebreaker called "The company you keep", and that helps to "loosen" everyone up a bit. And of course, humour works well to keep the mood light, especially if there are nervous nellies in the crowd. :-) Or men who are feeling a bit out of place. However, last night there came some humour at my expense actually!

When telling the class what to expect, I always talk about chairs. Yes, chairs. These poor pregnant ladies always have to sit on - what amounts to uncomfortable chairs. No chair is quite comfortable when you're pregnant, right? However, birth balls are great!! So when I talk about what they should bring to class, I always ask them if they own a ball. So here's last night's conversation.

I'm standing at the front of the room, with a birth ball right beside me.
I say, pointing to the ball "how many of you have balls?"

(now I should point out, I ask this of every group of parents I teach. However, I think sometimes I must add the word "birth" or "exercise" before the word "balls".)

One dad bursts out laughing - which of course causes all the other dads to laugh, and that one dad says "well, 50% of us do!".

HAHA. okay. Very funny. I think from now on, I will have to remember to insert the word "birth" or "exercise" first!!!

8 comments:

  1. ha ha Nicole!

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those "balls" are GREAT! Couldn't use one with my first (confined to bed due to complications), the only ball available at the hospital was too small for my second (and we weren't allowed to take our own) so it wasn't comfortable, but it was a lifesaver for my third and HIGHLY recommend one.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tee hee!
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup you were asking for that one! :)

    ReplyDelete