Ethan is 6 today!
Exactly 6 years ago at this time - 1:30 pm - I was in labour. Here's my story.
It was the Friday morning of the May longweekend. The weather was BLAH and I was blah. I was big, uncomfortable and suffering from those yucky hemorrhoids. I was due 5 days prior and I was DONE with being pregnant. I had had several days of on again off again labour and had had my membranes stripped twice. I had the recipe for a labour induction cocktail (oh yummy!) and I was deciding whether or not to take it. After a couple chats with two doula colleagues of mine, I decided to go ahead. I made it at 10 a.m. and had it down the hatch by 10:45 .....it is gross stuff, so it took along time to drink that much. My doula Anne came over at about 11:30 or so to offer some encouragement and to give me a nice relaxing massage. Danielle was being very good, playing on her own and otherwise not bothering me much. Martin was upstairs in our room studying.
Anne left shortly before 1 pm. While she was giving me a massage I remember having contractions but thinking absolutely nothing of them. I think I was trying to psych myself up for drinking more of that stuff mid afternoon as directed. At 1 pm I had a slice of banana bread, and then negotiated to have our room for a nap while Martin studied downstairs. I lay down to read my book for awhile and WHAM I had a doozy of a contraction that had me up on my hands and knees. It wasn't long - probably no more than 30 secs, but enough to take the wind out of my sails. Not convinced it was anything, I lay down to read again, and minutes later had another one. Then I decided I should hit the toilet - and had another one, and then another one while washing my hands. I stumbled downstairs and called Martin over who decided to page the midwife on call - Sarah. She told us she was on her way, and we called our doula Anne to come back. The thing is - I thought there was something wrong. I figured it couldn't be labour - it just didn't feel right!!!!
By 2 pm Anne and Sarah both had arrived. Shortly afterwards, Sarah checked me and I was 4 cms and completely effaced! They were staying and I was in active labour. We called my mom to come get Danielle and I began the work of labour, now trusting that everything was fine. Martin spent the next hour blowing up and filling up the birth pool while Anne worked with me through each contraction, while Sarah set up her equipment. By 3 pm the pool was ready for me, and after some convincing I got in ----- I just didn't want to go in too early. Oh it was heavenly!!! I felt light and buoyant and able to move easily from side to hands and knees. The following hour was a complete blur. All I remember was the pain being very intense, making lots of noise, complaining that I couldn't do this ....... someone lit candles and put on music but I don't think I cared much either way. At 3:50 pm I was gripped by a suddenly intense contraction, heard an audible "pop", felt a huge gush of fluid and then felt his head DROP. I managed to squeak out " my water just broke and the baby is coming!". My midwife Sarah was caught completely off guard, and had my doula Anne quickly page the other midwife Natasha to come NOW. Sarah later told me she had no idea I was as close I was because I looked so in control! huh?? I felt so out of control!
My biggest request was help in not tearing, so ........I didn't push. Sarah checked me and definitely confirmed that Ethan was coming ......so I stayed floating on my back, and let Ethan come down on his own.
My sister Leona had arrived meantime and took some beautiful photos which I will always treasure. Finally at one point, Sarah said " you should actually push now". grin........ so I gave a few pushes, and it wasn't long before his head was out - in the water! Incredible sensation!! One final push and I helped bring him out and up, unlooping the cord around his neck. Sarah and I brought him up to my chest together - oh what an absolutely perfect moment that was. INCREDIBLE! He was born at 4:10 pm on Friday May 21st ..........it was the gentlest, calmest birth I ever had .........and no tears!!! I was so proud of myself - especially considering he was 8 lbs 13 oz.
Martin and I had absolutely no regrets that we had planned for and had a home water birth in a kiddie pool. We would do it that way again, if we ever had another one. I loved the experience of being home. We waited until the cord stopped pulsating, then Martin cut the cord, I got out of the pool, delivered the placenta and made myself comfortable on our couch in the living room to bond with and nurse Ethan. The second midwife Natasha and the second doula Kathie both arrived at that time. It was a great experience .....and I'll never forget that Kathie felt so bad for missing the birth that she bought us all Chinese food for dinner!!
Wasn't he adorable??? The second photo - behind me from left to right is doula Anne, midwife Sarah who helped me deliver him, and midwife Natasha who actually took care of us the whole following week. (photographer credits to Leona!)




So amazing! Happy Birthday, Ethan!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats mom and dad!
P.S. A while back, you (I think it was you) mentioned that you weren't sure how many people were visiting your blog and you didn't know how to check like on xanga. Maybe it wasn't you, but if you like to see who reads your blog, you can install a tracker here: http://feedjit.com/fg/#mainDiv
Very neat for you to be able to experience that with him. He sure was a cute babe! -Audrey
ReplyDeleteOkay, I don't think it was you looking for a tracker on your blog....it may have been a family member. :)
ReplyDeleteEvery birthing story I read or see - brings tears to my eyes. Just beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Ethan!