Saturday, March 27, 2010

good or bad?

I taught a prenatal-in-a-day (for Douglas College) today.
A few weeks ago, I also taught one, but not in Langley. I ended up traveling to Port Coquitlam and teaching there in a setting where I've not taught before. It was outside of my comfort zone, but it was a good experience. When I arrived this morning at my usual Langley site (at the Public Health Unit) .... it was like coming home! For all the negative aspects about the Langley site (it's size, air/ventilation, chairs and no cafeteria/vending machines or even a water machine), it was just so good to be there in my comfort zone. Interestingly enough, the class I taught today went much better than the class a few weeks ago in Coquitlam! (I think Langley people are nicer too. ) hee hee

Anyways - while I like teaching the PNDAY's - it's VERY good income - and while I enjoy the day and interacting with up to 8 expectant couples ....... at the end of the day, not only am I tired from being on my feet and constantly on the go for 8 hours...... I feel bad/and sorry for those couples. While some prenatal education is better than none, this 7 hour packed day seems so unfair.

I spend the morning teaching about normal labour and birth. On a good Saturday, I can cover all of 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage of labour. I get the activities done and the information in. This is important stuff, and I always feel bad having to leave stuff out. (this is 6 hours of information condensed into 3!!). Then after lunch, we spend 1 1/2 hours going over all the interventions including epidurals and cesareans, (that's usually a 2 1/2 hour segment in the 6 week series), 45 minutes on breastfeeding (down from 2 hours in the normal series) and 45 minutes on postpartum (including whatever I can fit in about infant state/behaviour, and parenting) (again, down from 2 hours). I just feel like the couples are getting jipped in the afternooon. They don't get all the necessary info on breastfeeding or infant procedures and the postpartum is so rushed, I wonder what they take away from the class, if anything at all.

So although the class goes well, and I usually get mostly very positive evaluations, and they seem enthusiastic (amidst the exhaustion!) ........ I just feel bad. I know it's their choice to take the one day course, but I still feel like I couldn't give them the best.

It is interesting though. After a 6 week series, I always get several moms and dads saying to me "I'm soooo thankful I took the time for this class -- there's so much I didn't know! And I'm so glad that we had 6 weeks to process the information."
Today, a mom said to me "I'm so glad I took this class! I have several friends not taking any classes! That's too bad - they could really use this great info!".

Perspective, eh? :-)

Thanks for reading! (whomever you are!)

2 comments:

  1. I guess there isn't a way to get the knowledge of the 6 week course being better, out there eh? Good for you for teaching it, and enjoying it too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definately perspective....the one day class is better than nothing but the 6 week course is certainly more educating than the one day. Above all, knowledge is power so whatever people do it's better than not knowing it at all.
    So even if you feel that you aren't giving the people in the one day class enough...remember that it's still an imformative day and They chose that class :)
    Keep teaching it...more people than not will take a lot out of it and keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete