So, without going into details yet, I'm faced with the prospect of two possible job positions. I had an interview tonight for one, and will be having an interview tomorrow for another one. I have much on my mind as I sort through various aspects of each job, and need God's guidance for finding the right direction. Prayers in this respect would be greatly appreciated.
As soon as I got home, I started to mentally prepare for our house visit with 2 elders. Good timing I think!
We had our two oldest - Alanna and Braden - join us for the first hour. Our elders did a fabulous job with our kids, and I think they felt it too. It was nice as a parent to sit back and instead of being the one to discuss spiritual issues with them, watch them have spiritual issues discussed with them! (did that make sense?) :-) Anyways - the theme in Aldergrove this year is using your talents for God and His people. That got the kids talking a bit. When they spoke with Alanna and asked her about her talents, she was quite vague about it. They had asked her what her favourite subject was at school, and she right away answered "art". Therefore, she must have talent in it? Well, she's okay at it .... she LOVES to draw but I don't think that's her greatest gift. I brought up her gift/talent in writing. This girl can write. She's descriptive, imaginative and quite thought-out. In the past she has actually written devotionals for us as family to read at dinner time. Usually she'd get her ideas from the current devotional she's reading, but it would still be her work. That had one of the elders (Mr Vanvliet) totally enthralled!! And it was wonderful to hear her response of "pride" (I use that word loosely) and thankfulness --- and recognition of a gift from God! She also, regularly without fail, takes notes from each sermon on Sundays. And she's good at that too. I hope and pray that she will take from this visit, a lesson in humility, but also in understanding what it truly means to be a servant of Christ.
Braden was asked what he thought he could be when he grew up. His answer threw me for a loop! "I think I'd like to do something like the army (okay, so no surprise there what with his penchant for weapons!) or the Air Force (wwwhhhaaattt?), or like the RCMP or something like that." O-k-a-y. Then he goes on "but I'm so skinny I don't think I could do it." But here's the thing. With further thought - he'd be perfect for those positions! It's interesting how you get a different perspective on your child when they are conversing seriously with another adult. He is very rule-oriented, and will argue the rules ad nauseum. But, he's also highly compassionate and cares for others deeply, a trait that sometimes gets him in trouble with his peers at school. So ..... you learn something new every day they say!! And of course, acting. Yes, he's good at that. We won't encourage him to find work in Hollywood though! Watch for him tomorrow night at the Easter Concert. Hopefully he doesn't faint or flake out like he did earlier this week in practice. :-(
We received lots of encouragement from the elders as well. Martin's headaches still continue to plague him day after day after day. This coming May will mark a total of 9 years of 24/7 headaches with little relief. We've run the gamut of things ....and still have a few methods to try. We are at different places --- Martin has given up praying for healing, but I'm not done yet. :-) So it was nice to hear some solid Christian encouragement. And of course, the job issue is heavy on my mind, and they were able to listen and help us sort out a couple things there. Long story short, when it comes to that, it really is a matter of trusting God that He will make things happen the way they're supposed to. After all, I do believe in God's providence over EVERYTHING in my life. That is hugely comforting!
All in all, a good day and evening. I ask for wisdom and strength for tomorrow as I go for another interview. Hopefully in due time I can announce a new direction for our lives here in the VW household.
That's neat... sometimes kids listen better if a different adult is telling them something... and no matter how many times we can point out a talent, they only really believe it when they hear it from someone else!
ReplyDeleteHope your interview goes well today!