Tuesday, March 30, 2010

breastfeeding class

I taught a class tonight --- last minute kind of thing. The regular instructor Carolyn was sick, and called me at 4 pm to see if I could teach. Sure, nothing much going on!
She mentioned to me that she had 6 couples and that they were a good group, she mentioned one dad being a class clown. well, class clown doesn't even cut it!!!! She mentioned that maybe he would be a bit toned down, after all, he doesn't know me!

So the class started well .... and before I knew it - this guy Sheldon had the class in stitches. Several times I had to start what I was saying all over again. While it's great to have a dad or two who are involved and like to joke around, sometimes they can go overboard ...and this guy was overboard. And the topic? Breastfeeding. You can just imagine .... especially when I pulled out my knit breast. Or when the moms used their stuffies to practice positions. :-) One mom said all she had was a chew toy of her dogs! Ya, a little squeaky racoon ISN'T going to cut it!!! Anyways .... they were a good class to teach. The 2 hours went by quickly.

Normally when I teach a series or a prenatal in a day, I give my phone number and email to the group. When we discuss the realities of life with a newborn, and breastfeeding difficulties, I always give my class the option of calling me in the middle of the night if they need to. However, this wasn't my class. So, when we got to talking about who their resources were, I asked them who they could call. One guy piped up "you! what's your phone number?" I'm like " I'm not giving it to you! You can call Carolyn!". (lots of smiles etc). Until one mom yells out "hey - your number is on this handout!!!". CRUMB! The class burst out laughing, and the class clown dad yells out "hey everyone we can call her at 2 a.m.!". Ya, okay! So, I need to remember the names Sheldon and Laura. They'll probably call.

At the end of the class, after I had asked if they had any other questions, Sheldon says "so that's it? we never see you again?" Another dad says "not unless you call her at 2 a.m.". hahahahahahaha. Anyways, they were all so grateful for the class, they wanted me to come back next week for their final class! :-) I can't do that ..... but hey, I like the compliment!

Anyways - sometimes teaching a class spur of the moment is a good thing. Glad to have helped out, and I made a bit of money at the same time.

On to tomorrow .......

3 comments:

  1. Nice to get that boost of confidence, even if it meant putting up with that clown! Goofing off must be his way of coping with a topic he finds uncomfortable. Hope he was still paying attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool Nicole. If they want you back, you must be doing something right! I've heard a lot of very positive response to your prenatal classes -- not that I'm surprised at all! But just saying... you're really good at what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hopefully you don't get a call at 2 in the morning! Yikes! Good to hear that they appreciated you!

    ReplyDelete