Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Perinatal Support Group happening!!

So, remember a while back I had posted about the possibility of starting a perinatal support group this fall? I received a good amnount of positive feedback through the blog and facebook. Definitely saw a need for it.
I've met with Freida S and we're going to try and get this group off the ground.

So, here's the announcement we're putting in the next issue of Church News.
If you've thought of joining, please contact myself or Frieda. In order to run a productive group we need women to commit. The max number of women we can take in for the group is 8-10. (depending on response).

Here's the announcement:

Perinatal/ postpartum depression is more common than we think. Recent studies suggest that at least 1 in 5 women are depressed during their pregnancy and after the birth of a baby. As Christians we are not immune to this. There are several reasons why postpartum/perinatal depression is on the rise. and one way to combat it is to support one another through it and learn proper coping skills and techniques. We would like to offer a 10 week perinatal/postpartum support/learning group this fall for interested women. In order to attend, you are presently pregnant and ,or,have a history of previous postpartum depression and or, have a baby up to 1 year old. It will be a safe, nonjudgmental environment to address your concerns, and where you can learn how to change negative thoughts and anxiety. The course will be offered from October - December, most likely on Monday evenings ,at a (central) place to be announced.
Interested mothers can contact one of the undersigned.

Frieda Snijder at friedasnijder@shaw.ca or 604 576 4930
Nicole VanWoudenberg at doulanic@gmail.com 604 607 1183

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it's all working out so far. This is going to be a very good thing. I'm still sad that I won't have the opportunity to join! But I wish you all the best with the final preparations to get it started!

    ReplyDelete