One thing I'm starting to see of and hear more of is postpartum depression - and even perinatal depression. This bothers me, although I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe as I write this blog, I'll figure that out!
In all my weekly prenatal classes, I spend some time talking about the postpartum. That's the last class of the series. We talk about the physical changes the moms can expect to see, but we also talk about some of the emotional changes including postpartum depression. But I'm starting to think we should have a class focused on just that! To talk about the baby blues, anxiety, and depression.
I've spoken with a few midwives about what I'm seeing and they agreed that postpartum depression is increasing, rather than decreasing. Even depression during pregnancy. Lots of anxiety. Why is this we wonder?
I care about the community at large and am concerned about the rising rates. There are support groups out there which we can recommend. But within our own churches - the Can Ref churches in particular and the Reformed churches in general - the rates are also rising. I'm sure of it. Even if it's not made public. And here is really where my concern lies. Where is a support network for perinatal women who are struggling with anxiety and depression? Where is the help for them?
And why are so many mothers becoming depressed?
We know that perinatal depression is usually multi-faceted. It's not JUST chemical resulting from hormonal change. Nor is it JUST environmental resulting from feelings of isolation, feelings of being trapped or unable to have life the way it was before. Nor is it JUST genetics because someone else had it in your family. It's usually a combination of them. And when depression sets in, ALL angles should be looked at in order to fix the problem. Antidepressants are fine ....but in alot of cases (NOT ALL), the medication is just a bandaid for a problem that isn't being dealt with.
In speaking with other midwives, and a counselor, there are a few ideas.
First -- depression has a HUGE social stigma attached to it. We usually don't care if the community knows that we have the flu, or gallstones or cancer. But if we have an illness of the mind, we tend to hide it. It's hush-hush. Why? When did we start believing that the mind is stronger than the body? Why is there a belief that ailments of the mind are worse than ailments of the body? We live in a broken world, with broken bodies, and our minds are just as prone to breaking down as our bodies.
Second -- there is still a belief held in our community that faith should be all you need to get through anxiety and depression. If you just pray more and have a stronger faith, you'll get over your depression. WRONG. Faith is important, but when you are facing anxiety and depression of whatever kind, faith itself can't always make it better.
Third -- women don't know where to go to for help. There may be a sense of shame associated with "being depressed" or "not being able to cope" or "what will my ______ (you fill in the blanks) think?"
These things combined can lead to increased anxiety and depression finally leading them to seek medications first. So that no one else has to know.
I'd like to change this within our church community. I've met with Frieda S about the possibility of starting a perinatal support/learning group in the Fall.
This means that if you're pregnant or have had a baby who is less than 1 years old, you can come. If you struggle with feelings of anxiety, sadness, frustration, and/or depression, this is for you. And believe you me, there are ALOT of women who while pregnant and/or have a new baby are dealing with these issues!
We need to break away from the fear of the label of depression ... break away from the feeling of isolation and seek out a way to support each other through this very crucial time!
So, if you're at all interested, please email me at doulanic@gmail.com
We can't really run this group unless we know we have some women committed.
It would be a 10 week course - one day or evening per week for 10 weeks. It IS a support group among Christians where faith will be an important aspect. It will be a safe and supportive place to air your concerns and frustrations without feeling judged. And it will be a place for you to learn how to process your thoughts, and recognize your own thought patterns. A place to learn how to cope. And perhaps even heal.
Please pass on this information to anyone you know that may not know me, or read my blog or is my "friend" on facebook. The more we talk about this openly, the better off we're all going to be! So, please spread the word!!
God bless.
This is awesome. I did something like this with Frieda after having Brandon and highly recommend anyone have any issues with post partum go. Nothing to be ashamed of . Hope it works out Nicole!
ReplyDeleteThis is a long time coming. Super Mom syndrome needs to be banished forever!! We don't have to do it all and we need rest post partum. I strongly believe in feet up for two weeks - with small walks. Just resting the body helps the mind as well. My anxiety increases from lack of sleep - learning to spot this and ask for the help I need has been huge in learning to cope.
ReplyDeleteThanks for addressing this - you'll hear more from me for sure!!
You've definately hit something here Nicole - I think there is a need for this.
ReplyDeleteI hope many "new" moms message you and show interest in a course to help them get through the first year after having baby. So often I notice more and more how new moms seem to be doing "it all" right after baby is born. baking, cooking, cleaning, doing errands all the time, socializing at night till late hours, and upset when baby doesn't sleep through the night by 2-3 months. And then they wonder why they are emotional, sad, grumpy, can't handle the other children etc etc...yikes...how unfair for them to expect so much out of themselves!
Support groups and courses are amazing tools to help people get through so much....people must realize this.
L and I have also noticed that there is nothing out there in the Canadian Reformed Circle for grief support. I'd like to see that changed as well.
It definately does seem like there is a stigma attached to talking about your issues with post partum and grief. Why?
I really really hope that a course like you are going to offer gets huge responses...good luck!
I think this is wonderful what you are doing Nicole! I hope you get a great response from this and that it all works out.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a good thing!! I agree with Leona with the whole new mom gotta do it all mindset, it really needs to change! Good for you, I wish you all the best in this!
ReplyDeleteIf you start it, I will send friends in droves. In fact, if you want help organizing, I'm game!!
ReplyDeleteA group like this saved my sanity, I kid you not, I was not sleeping and didn't know how to fix what was wrong, my entire life is different now! I think there is a huge need for groups. Great work!
Hey Nicole, I took the Breastfeeding Counsellor's course last winter (I think I told you about that), and there are some resources listed in my course notes that could be helpful if this group gets going!
ReplyDeletewww.ibreastfeeding.com
www.bfmed.org
www.MedEdPPD.org
www.PPDScience.com
www.postpartum.net
www.ppdchicago.org
wwwNHBreastfeedingTaskForce.org
www.BreastfeedingMadeSimple.com
Also, some book titles I wrote down:
Medications and Mother's Milk (12th Ed)
Depression In New Mothers
Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Hidden Feelings of Motherhood
Mind Over Mood workbook
Also, my mom forwarded me the poster for the Breastfeeding Matters conference in Victoria on October 2nd--their topic this year is postpartum depression! I'm going, maybe you would be interested in coming too? Here's their webpage:
http://www.breastfeedingmatters.ca/html/conference-main.html
Hey Melissa - thanks for the list of resources. Some of them I have from when I took the breastfeeding course way back in 2002, but there's some new ones.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sad to hear that the conference is on October 2. I have already signed up and paid for a women's retreat that weekend. (on my birthday no less!). That stinks! If you're going, I'll expect a full blog report on that conference! :-)