Friday, July 16, 2010

my work as a doula

What I find very interesting these days is that whenever I start a new series of classes - either with Douglas College classes or Heart and Hands, more and more people seem to know what a doula is. Compare that to 3.5 years ago when I started teaching when only about half the class knew what a doula was. There are still people who don't know of course, and I have the pleasure of introducing them to the world of doula-dom, and what it all entails.

More and more people are also starting to see the value of having a doula for the birth of their baby, and most people are respectful of this work.

But there are still people who scoff at it, who dismiss it, and who, worst of all, think it's not a real job. Who don't think it's RIGHT that doulas should charge for their services. Well.

Let me enlighten you.

Being a doula is a tremendously rewarding JOB. I am honoured each time a couple or a mother asks me to be present with them during the birth of their baby. I have the pleasure of meeting with them SEVERAL times prior to the big day ....usually each visit is 2 hours or longer. During these visits I ask them about their birth wishes, help them decide what's important to them or not, ask them to tell me what they want me to do - how I can best support BOTH of them .....and best of all, we just chat, getting to know one another. However, these 4-8 hours or so? Time away from my husband and children. Traveling there and back. Compensation is desired. Even IF it's a fun job.

Then there's the part of "being on-call". My family and close friends know my mantra when I have a client. Here's a typical phone conversation.

"Hey Nicole, we're thinking that it would be great to have a family bbq on such and such date!"

Nicole "That's awesome! What can I bring?"

"oh...how about ....." (meanwhile, I'm checking my calendar)

Nicole "oh wait ... hang on. Well, I have a client due about a week later, so I'm on call."

"OH?"

Nicole "yes, I'm on-call. So if I'm there, I'm there. If I'm not, I'm probably at a birth. And I may get called away."

And you can guess MANY other conversations. Planning a date night with hubby. Planning a coffee night out with my girlfriends. Etc.

Being on call is stressful to some degree. You just NEVER know when that baby will decide to show up, therefore you NEVER know whether or not you can fully committ to this or that other thing. And since expectant mothers are full term from 37 - 42 weeks, and as per my contract, I am ON CALL 24/7 for them for FIVE weeks. That's a long time. Compensation is desired.

And then there's the birth. Most times I get called out in the middle of the night, or in the later evening. And many times I'm up all night - plus the day before or the day after. Yes, I've been at births for less than 4 hours. But I'm also at births that last for 18-28 hours too. With NO SLEEP. And being at a birth is work! Any Dad reading this knows what I'm yakking about. (but okay, not many dads read this). :-) I won't describe that in details. Compensation is desired.

And postpartum ...I'm still available for breastfeeding support. I make at least 1 visit to "de-brief" the birth, help with breastfeeding and cuddle the new baby.

All this to say to some people: being a DOULA is a real job!!! And yes, we should charge for our services! Doctors, nurses and midwives get paid ....why shouldn't we? I have done, and still do volunteer births .....for teenagers, those with financial issues, and FAMILY. :-) (family ALWAYS gets a deal!). But, yes, I do charge for my services. And think that it's fair to do so.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings about doulas and WHY we charge for our services!

4 comments:

  1. I'm SO going to have a doula with our next baby, Lord willing! I think it's fabulous what you do and the positive effect doulas have on mother, father and baby. Yay doulas!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely relate (even though I'm in a different field). What you do is so valueable and those that 'get it' will pay for this service. I love that it's becoming a more popular option. Would be nice if healthcare would recognize the benefits to mother, baby, family and the system in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe that someone would suggest that Doula's not get paid! I don't doubt for a second that it is a very time consuming, physically and mentally demanding, stressful but rewarding job - one that I'm positive MANY women (and men!) are thankful for!
    I'm with Lynette on this one, a Doula is on my list of 'Must haves' for our next baby(DV)...
    I'm positive that some things would have gone much differently if I had a Doula. Not that my midwives didn't do a fabulous job, they SURE did! I'm so thankful for them and Im sad I won't have the opportunity to have them with future babies.
    A Midwife and Doula are top on my list to find with future next baby! That is if I can find one, it's hard enough to find a Midwife in Winnipeg let alone a Doula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karin --- it's getting there. There was a study done in Vancouver - and is still being carried on, called the South Community Birth Project, where a doula was given to any mother at BC Women's hospital who wanted one. This study has proven beyond a doubt that doulas SAVE the healthcare system $$ - and alot of it. So, slowly but surely, the govt is recognizing the health benefits for mothers, babies and families. One day we will see that MSP will cover the costs of doulas!

    Lynette and Nadine .....YA!!!!

    ReplyDelete