Thursday, June 10, 2010

Random Thoughts

So, how do you like my new look? It was time for a change!

Time for a few random thoughts:

Along with my family, I went to the highschool band concert tonight. It was a wonderful evening of music. Heard the HS choir sing a song from a previous "mass choir" CD (the one in Carman I believe!). The grade 9 band did a great job too. And of course, the Senior Band. Fantastic again. They played "Triumphant Spirit" (Hymn 10) - which was the first commissioned piece for the CCHS band in 2001. Singing Hymn 10 isn't easy anymore ---- it's the basis for our friends weblog -- Jerome and Andria. And so thoughts of them and their aching hearts with the loss of Craig crowded my thoughts - and I had to choke back my tears. HUGS to my friend so far away in South Africa! There was a pretty awesome drum duet by Vince and his future brother in law ....who happens to have a degree in music, with a major in percussion. Now, I'm not a big fan of drum solos. REally. They're loud. And busy. But it sure was fun to WATCH them! KUDOS to those guys! And of course, it was a real treat to hear the newly commissioned piece based on Psalm 116. Well done! It was bitter sweet as this was Heres' last night as conductor. He sure left a great legacy of music behind. Kent D has BIG shoes to fill! It was wonderful to see the love and respect between students, and staff. What a wonderful evening.

It didn't start off so well though. Our van wouldn't start -- or rather, the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. We had this before, and the key that we were using wasn't "fitting" properly. Now it appears our only key is a problem. GREAT. And to top it off, we received a notice from Toyota that our van is part of a thing where they have to assess the van for a problem that's cropped up. AND, a couple weeks ago it appears that someone tried to break into our van and broke the front passenger door. Bleh. We ended up taking two vehicles to the band ....yes, that means we still have 3 vehicles. Anyone want to buy a Ford escort??

Work has gone well. Very pleased with how I'm picking up things. Okay, I know that sounds like I'm bragging, but I'm not trying to do that. Just wanted to share that I'm coping, and that I'm learning what needs to be learned! And thoroughly enjoying meeting new babies too! :-)

The family is adjusting well too. Although, I think they'd rather I didn't work this weekend!!

Lately I've heard of kids who are working for their dad, and not really getting good work ethics. I think of the generations past who had to work real hard for everything they got. In most recent years, many had to receive good education as well. But now, it just seems that kids are receiving what their parents built on a silver platter. Instead of working hard ....getting a business degree or what have you, they're just being told "don't worry - you can work for me". What do you think? Should kids today work hard like the generations past to get what they want? What is happening to solid work ethic? Working hard for positions, and getting an education to help further their character? Do kids today have it too easy??

I've been reading some alarming things recently about parents (this time the younger set) who insist on introducing solids much earlier than the recommended 6 months. Why is that? I think there are WAY too many doctors who are out of date, and have not kept up with the recent evidence and are still telling their too-trusting patients to go ahead and introduce babies to solids as early as 3 months. It is frustrating when people refuse to look at the evidence and the science and trust it .......it's frustrating when I hear people say "well, my kid is perfectly healthy". Do they ever stop to think that perhaps another child wouldn't be?? We generally don't smoke anymore - even though many of our parents did. And we all wear seatbelts and use carseats --- even though many of our parents didn't. So why is it so different with babies and food?

Well, I think that's enough random thoughts for now .......maybe more later.

Have a good day!

9 comments:

  1. Love the new look Nicole, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a huge long comment and then my computer deleted it. My thoughts: I don't think working for parents necessarily makes a child feel entitled or lazy. My brothers in their teen years and early twenties worked with my dad dairy farming, grain farming, butchering, etc. and they worked really, really hard. They didn't really get holidays because it was hard to get relief milkers in they trusted. Also, holidays were non-existent since like landscaping, farming's busiest time is the growing season which is spring/summer/fall. Actually they all decided to start their own businesses because they found farming took away from family time too much. They all started either their own business or work in a trade (mechanics and construction). All of them definitely know what it is like to work hard. Although, I have seen kids work for their dads because it is just easier than actually sending out resumes and going to university or college or trade school.
    Regarding solids, all my doctors recommended waiting til 6 months or even 9 months to introduce solids as long as the little ones were growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor didn't recommend solids until at least 6 months as well...although with my first child it was the health nurses that said 4-6 months. I think really it's the way we live these days that's causing the early introductions to food. In our society, breast feeding is such an uncomfortable subject for both women and men. I remember getting the looks of disgust while feeding in public, and I was always covered with a cloth...it's just not an common thing to see yet...we really need to put some kind of nursing movement into effect; for a society that sure likes to watch sex on t.v., heaven forbid someone descretly nurses in public! Really how can such a beautiful thing like nursing your own child be so offensive to people. They have shows now that have teenagers getting pregnant, well how about instead have a show where a woman breast feeds their baby, maybe wears them in a sling..maybe then people would smile at you instead of frown at you while giving nurition to your child.

    The second part is that there is so much pressure to do it all...to have it all done, keep up the house, keep you're body looking fabulous, hair and make up looking great...the whole nine yards...I think for some Mom's the stress of keep up everything gets to them, and starting solids early is just another small step into making them independent...way sooner then they need or should be. It seems like there is a rush to get our kids to grow up...but they already grow up way too fast.

    Lastly it's the parents and grandparents...at least in my case. My parents (and my Dad use to be a pharmacist for 20 years during the 70's-80's) kept asking me when I was going to stop breast feeding. I actually had a debat with my Dad who kept insisting that after 3 weeks it wasn't nutritious anymore..that Formula was far more nutritious. My Mom told me that my daughter was waking at night because she was hungry and that I needed to start giving her solid foods...wrong! My Grandma thought that I was "spoiling" my children by wearing them in a sling, picking them up when they cried...in her day you just put them to bed when you thought it should be bed, and then got them up when you felt it was time to wake up...ignore the crying.For a first time Mom, this was all so overwhelming, the unwanted advice; would sometimes be hard to diffuse....on a rough day, you'd start to think it actually sounded like good advice; and if other friends were starting to feed, maybe I should, but in the end I stuck to my guns and was so happy for it, no regrets. By number two my family started to be better trained and my Dad even thought it was great that I was nursing.

    So in conculsion, this lengthy comment can be summed up like this "there is so much pressure to create these super indepented and amazing at everything children...but it's time to stop trying to get them to grow up so fast, and bask in the amazement of these tiny beings...taking in every little "dependent" moment, because it won't last.

    Tanya G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new look Nicole!! About not working as hard - hum I'm thinking. I wonder if it has to do with establishing roots. Our generation (mostly first or second generation immigrants) has not had to do that. Is that our fault?
    Feeling entitled is something that is within someone but it is also learned by default. What I mean is that if the proper prespective is never taught - certain things such as - chores need to get done, everyone chips in, money doesn't grow on trees, etc... It is easy to raise a spoiled child but it is hard work to raise one that has a grateful heart - that gives thanksgiving to the LORD for every morsel. Having said all that - inheriting a business is not wrong in and of itself - it just really depends on the attitude of the child. Just my two cents :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good comments everyone. Thanks for posting!!
    I'm glad you all had docs who didn't recommend solids earlier than 6 months. Some babies aren't so fortunate!

    RE - the work thing. Rose, your brothers had to work hard to learn the ropes. That's different I think, than inheriting a business where everything has been done for you. I just wonder what the benefit of that is? Teachers kids don't inherit their parents job - neither can preachers kids, or lawyers kids, or doctors kids, or police officers kids ........ in order to obtain the "professional" job, you have to receive the education. You have to work to obtain it. But why with other businesses? At the very least, you'd think it would be wise to send the kids to business school to learn a few other things. I don't know. I just am seeing it happen more often, and wonder at the wisdom of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole if you think about it logicaly the person who inherits their parents business has to make it a success or they will lose the business. If they didn't know what they were doing they would lose their lifelyhood, no matter how good 'daddy' was before him.
    Having a father who was self-employed I know that it isn't as easy as you think. There are no set incomes coming in and usually longer hours and less holidays then a 8-5 job like lawyers, teachers etc.
    Just my two cents, but I think you are stereotyping to generaly here.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. JAckie - I appreciate your comment, but you forget one crucial thing. I know full well what it's like to be self-employed. I currently am self employed, and Martin was self employed for the bulk of our married life. I get that!
    But in this case, I'm thinking of boys who don't pull up their socks, who don't care to work hard, who don't care to get an education because they already work for dad - and need nothing else.
    All I'm saying is I think there would be some wisdom in making those kids work hard to attain it, know what I mean? I don't think I'm stereotyping at all. I'm seeing a trend in our culture that perhaps you don't see yet.

    Oh - and don't forget ...teachers don't have a 8-5 job. My husband works more hours than many men I personally know. And although he technically has several months off - he works hard during his time off- finding a way to supplement the year income, rather than having a set 2 weeks off! (just clarifying here ....I hate the perception that teachers have it easy) just my two cents! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if we are just becoming more aware of things like the kids that aren't working 'hard enough' because we are at an age that we see the competition for our kids? or that we are parents and can see it differently. I imagine it's an issue with every generation - there will always be slackers and hard workers, it's just in different areas. Not as many guys are heading the farming route or even the 'blue collar' route - doesn't mean they aren't working hard because their hands aren't getting dirty. I think there is merrit to saying that if the kids aren't working hard with their daddies business they will find out the hard way that it's not going to last. I do think it's 'nicer' that these 'kids' are getting a business that has been started and established, but the work load is going to be different. In the long run, those that are trying to ride coat tails can really only do it for so long. And as a parent, if I had a business and was able to financially help out my child into their adult hood being financially stable as well, I would - I think most parents would.

    Feeding solids - I honestly didn't know that it was a 6 months thing, I kinda read my child mostly. If they could sit in a high chair was a good sign and I thought that if the bottle or nursing didn't seem to satisfy them then maybe I would try the cereal. But if they had trouble knowing what to do with it, then ya I would pass on it for a few weeks. I don't think moms use solids to make their lives easier ... I honestly find it more challenging when a baby transfers to solids. It's fun at first then it becomes a hassle (nasty to say eh?! LOL) but bringing along the food when going out and the mess! But thank you for the heads up, I have 2 months to go and that should work out grand as hopefully camping will be done!

    I like the new look too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Audrey, I agree. Introducing solids earlier would make life harder for the parent. It is a hassle and I was happy just to nurse or give a bottle. I think with every kid, it got later and later. :)

    ReplyDelete