Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Three-Fold Blog .....

Three topics today:

Update on Martin, frustrations and a poll. :-)


First, Martin.
A while ago on facebook, I had expressed my frustration at the level of pain Martin had been experiencing recently with his headaches. I have something positive to report. :-)
Let me preface it by saying I know there are a great many people who are suffering from worse things than headaches. We are thankful he doesn't have cancer, or a tumour, - we are thankful he is still alive, and that it's not "terminal". But, it is very difficult not knowing what the cause of these headaches are. Especially because they've been occuring 24/7 for 10 years. Martin has learned fantastic coping techniques and does live with the pain rather well, but even he has said he's not looking for a cure, but a diagnosis would be nice! At least then it would show that it's not "in his head" so to speak. :-)

Anyways - he's been seeing a wonderful naturopath in Langley who is going to bat for him. That day when the burning in his forehead was proving to be unmanageable, we went to see her, and she gave him an infusion of concentrated vitamins via IV, as well as an IM injection of concentrated B (5?) vitamins. That proved to take away the burning (not the actual headache) for about 5 hours, and then it returned. I found an "Arnica" gel (a homeopathic remedy) for him to rub on his forehead, and this too seemed to help. Over the course of a few days, the burning subsided, and is virtually gone, although his headaches remain the same.

When Martin had that IV infusion, he should've "tasted" the vitamins in his mouth. He didn't, which indicates very low doses of vitamins in his body. That's not a good thing either.

So right now Martin will be seeing the naturopath once a week for weekly IV infusions of vitamins, and the injection of B5 IM. This is costly, but the naturopath is being VERY kind and allowing us to pay what we can (which at this point is about half the cost. She was even willing to not accept payment for the first treatment!). As well, she took a blood sample and is sending it for the high end food sensitivity testing. She's also, in the meantime, still looking for an appropriate dentist who may be willing to do pro-bono work for Martin to see if his dental issues are in part causing the headaches. He's had several teeth crack/fall apart, and has a tooth with the filling exposed right now --- makes me wonder about mercury poisoning. However, the test for metal toxicity like mercury is a few hundred dollars, and she wants to do that as a last resort.

So we are feeling a bit hopeful. This is better than the "we don't know what to do for you anymore" attitude seen by so many of the conventional medical professionals.
Please continue to pray!!

Next topic: Frustrations.
This is my frustration right now. I'm an advocate for education and for knowledge. Over the years, I've drawn on my education and experience as a Registered Nurse, Certified birth doula, Certified Lamaze childbirth educator and Breastfeeding counselor ... I've read ALOT about many differing topics. I have tried to be fair and read BOTH sides of any given argument --- then I weigh the pros and cons of both sides and draw what I feel is an informed conclusion. Over the last couple years I have used facebook as a tool for education. When I come across an article/research etc that I feels warrant sharing, I share. Over the last couple years this has resulted in a number of responses from friends - some of which have boiled over into heated arguments.

I want ALL to know this is NOT my intention. I share things for the purpose of education --- and my opinion is usually based on evidence and yes, even science. I am aware that many of my opinions do NOT match others opinions -- but I should feel free to share things without being told "This makes me feel guilty" or "You're so biased" or "you're wrong". I shouldn't be attacked for sharing what I feel is important.

This is my attempt at telling my readers on blogger and facebook, that when I share an article on any topic like parenting, circumcision, breastfeeding vs formula feeding, crying it out, vaccinations, Vitamin D, baby wearing, co-sleeping .... or whatever .......... I would expect respect for the fact that I AM educated and widely read. (and I know, I'm not being humble for the moment). You may disagree - but also understand that if you disagree, you are also likely disagreeing with research, and in many cases, proven science. If you feel guilty when reading any article I post, that's maybe God's way of asking you to look at WHY. And NO ONE can make you feel guilty - not me, not an article, not your friend or mother.......we CHOOSE to allow ourselves to feel guilty - and we can CATCH IT , CHALLENGE IT and CHANGE IT. :-)
There ends my rant.


And finally .... a brief poll:
when you read my blog, where do you come from? From browsing blogs in general, on your Google reader or another blog reader, on your Favourites, or through Facebook? This might help me learn where my readers are finding me. So ....yes, please do comment and let me know! Many thanks!

22 comments:

  1. I have your blog bookmarked but don't always check. I definitely check more now that you let us know through Facebook.

    I am really hope and pray that Martin finds a diagnosis and a treatment. If anyone says to you, "it could be worse", that is what the visiting minister last Sunday called "Dutch comfort" and it is "cheap" and not helpful. It undermines your and his pain. And we wonder why people don't ask pastors for prayer requests at the risk of people saying, "Pfft....why are we praying for this or that when so and so is going through this or that..." Shows no compassion at all. Although I admit that I often say that to myself, "Bethany is sick again, but at least it is something terminal." But if someone else was to say that, it would be different and hurtful.

    I always read your links, etc. and mostly agree. I think everyone can make their own choices, but with knowledge and research. For example, I KNOW breastfeeding is better for a baby; but for the sake of Bethany and our family, we finally put her on formula. The stress and the time it took really took a toll on our family. So we made a different choice and I feel no guilt (after about a week) because that was the best for our family overall....maybe not for her specifically though. I just didn't want to get to the point of mental exhaustion, physical exhaustion and it leading to another episode of post-partum depression. That's where it was going. So it had to be a prayerful well-discussed issue between my husband and I with the pros and cons of us all. I think we made a wise choice. I don't get upset at what you write at all. If people don't like it, they can always "hide" your feeds/statuses.

    Keep blogging and don't let the "fear" of man get to you.

    Rose B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to hear that Martin's headaches are getting some "investigation" into some causes ~ praying with you that they will eventually be able to solve the cause!

    As for putting articles on Facebook, I think there's a big difference between searching out an article to find an answer to a problem we're having, and having it put in front of our face without asking for it. Yes, it's not nice when it turns into a boiled over argument, but when it's presented to all your facebook friends ~ people in all different stages of parenting and levels of education ~ there are bound to be a lot of conflicting opinions.

    However, if it were to be posted on a discussion board or page for people who are looking for those kind of answers, there would probably be a much different response. Yes Nicole, you are very educated and I respect your knowledge, but human nature is that we want to be encouraged. And when an article makes what we're doing sound completely wrong, it is very discouraging and puts people on the offensive. Is it maybe better to offer a page with all these articles so people can search for the advice they want to find?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that you and Martin are receiving some positive help for his headaches. i hope the treatments continue to go well and that the tests she is going to take come with some helpful results!

    Nicole, I enjoy reading the articles you post. Many of them have helped me in a decision or dilemma or even just a good topic to read on. I'm glad you continue to post them! Making informed decisions is very important and sharing helpful articles with Mom's on facebook is awesome! I love it :)

    I have your blog in my list of favourites, I check the blogs I follow and various other pages every few days or so. When you post a link on Facebook I do click on that and get to it from there too though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through Facebook. I haven't yet experienced the same fall-out as you have, but I do totally understand. I don't post the things I do simply to tout my own opinions. This is evidence-based, well researched material. If a person takes offense, that's their issue which doesn't change the scientific facts. I recently posted on FB that I was considering starting a separate page for my business, or creating a limited profile list, so as to separate my private and professional lives. I had a cousin respond that if I did that would be wonderful, and to put her name on the other list and then I would be free to post as I like. Oh My Gosh. I thought that was a might presumptuous. It's my profile...I can post as I like without her permission thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in my list of Favorites and I check every few days. I enjoy the length of blogs rather than the short tidbits on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm your brother and i check your blog to keep up with you and your fam...even though we live 2 minutes apart, i find your blog, especially the photo's very helpful

    i'm not gonna lie, i dont read your articles. mostly because they're womanly things and because you know if i need an answer, i'll just ask for your opinion cuz i trust you :)

    dont listen to the people out there who dont agree with you. i have lots of friends who have annoying status updates, but i'm not about to complain that their status updates on my facebook feed are annoying me and are in my face. if i dont like it, i read on and ignore it. if your readers feel the same, they should probably do the same. if they disagree and can back up their own opinions schollarly or biblically, i'm sure you'd be willing to hear them out, right?

    Glad to hear Martins doing well. I always forget about his headaches cuz i never see him complaining or whining about it...tuff soldier :)

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nicole:

    I'm not on face book much and haven't read your comments there. Reading this blog, however, somehow doesn't sit right with me....truthfully, I find that you are coming down pretty hard on folks who may not agree with you. Having face to face conversations generally prevents those hard feelings. Just my thoughts :-) ... and we certainly hope that Martin will find answers for his headaches after all these years....

    cecile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for commenting everyone! It's good to hear your thoughts on these issues - and thanks especially for continued prayers for Martin. We really appreciate it!
    Rebecca - definitely am going to think about starting a separate facebook profile for linking stuff. I'll see though - I don't want facebook to become more busy than it is already!!
    But I do think that James has a point ... no one HAS to read the article. They can choose to ignore anything I post. I'm sure lots of people already do that. That's perfectly fine. No skin off my back. But the nature of facebook is about public networking - that's what it is. I constantly see stuff I don't want/care to see. So be it. :-)

    James - thanks for reading my blog. I think it's pretty awesome that you do!! You rock!

    Cecile -- I think you misunderstand my frustration. I don't have a problem with people who don't agree with me. I welcome discussion - like James says - disagreement is fine when presented and backed up well. I don't welcome outright "attacks", or "fights" when I post an article. That's my frustration. I also get frustrated when people can't accept well researched and information based on current evidence. That's mostly my frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always read after noting something you've linked on FB.

    Re: Cecile's comment & your reply, I further note that I've had a couple of these myself and the reason that I think you are surprised is that although you fully intend something you post to be unbiased, well-informed, and offered in a gentle and kind way, they will be taken by some as an attack or fight in themselves. This is the nature of FB/blog/email communication as your mood can't be conveyed properly. I think that if you post ANYTHING on a controversial topic you need to be prepared that some will take it as aggressive and reply in kind. This is why I rarely do it myself and suck it up when people let me have a blast. So... if you think it must be posted, continue to do your best to be balanced and diplomatic and then brace yourself, or else keep those things for personal conversation. Just my opinion as offered in the blogosphere though, so now I'm prepared for a reaction... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Nic! I love reading your blog and when I see something you post on FB I have a choice to read it or not...I think that your passion is so evident so don't stop sharing information just because a few people disagree with you! I'm glad you post on FB when you have a new blog post up! Keep sharing :-) BTW your turn on Scrabble :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Nicole ~
    Glad to hear you're making some headway with Martin's headaches, what a blessing to find a proffesional that is so willing to help you so much! I too enjoy the articles you post and for someone like me who's a new mom and doesn't have the training or know-how, I like to hear things from people I know and trust instead of "googling" it and getting info from who-knows-where. So please keep posting.
    And I have you favourited so I check every couple days :) I love hearing about your area of expertise! Esp the birth stories - I know you're not doula-ing anymore or as much anyways, but the whole experience just fascinates me..
    There's my bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole - I've got you on favourites and read you anonymously every couple of weeks.
    As for your opinions and articles, I agree with you about half the time - which is why I read your blog. How boring to read only that with which we agree!! I absolutely do NOT like birth stories, so (wait for it ...) I don't read them! Such a simple solution.
    It's your blog - you get to post what you want. I get to read it if I want. Again -- so simple! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lengkeek family --- points well taken. Will keep that in mind, and just learn to either get tougher skin or let things slide off my back!!

    So..... now I'm curious --- who's the Anonymous poster on Oct 21 at 8:54 pm?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear that there's some hope for Martin again - I really hope and pray that this new path will be succesful - I mean, can you imagine??!!!

    I can totally understand your frustrations regarding people attacking you. Like others have said, it's a public place and anyone can post anything. You certainly don't put anything in anyone's face since your articles are all links....something which we can choose to open up and read or not....unlike people's status's about sick kids or sleepless nights over and over and over and over again!! :)
    Nicole, keep posting those articles...they are educational and already have helped so many moms make more informed decisions than ever before. those heated discussions??....not worth your time. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nicole

    I'm glad to hear that there seems to be some progress with Martin. We're praying for all of you.

    As far as facebook goes... I have to wholeheartedly agree with Leona and James, among others. When I go on Facebook I expect to be bombarded with everything people think is worth posting. As far as I'm concerned, educational articles that have research behind them are vastly perferrable to updates on baby's poop or another sleepless night. If I want to read your article I click the link. If not, I don't. Unfortunately, I can't "not read" a lot of other things, which is why I'm rarely on Facebook. As a person who is unable to have children, all the child related stuff is just too hard and causes me to become bitter, so I choose not to subject myself to it. I would never dream of asking people to stop posting that stuff though, and so I quietly remove myself when it gets too difficult.

    I think if you created a separate page for your articles that would be great if only for the reason that having all the information in one place might be nice for people who are doing some research. But I don't think that should stop you from posting on your own profile.

    And lastly, I have you in my Favourites and come by every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, just found you via the Lengkeek blog. I wanted to offer you my sympathy with those headaches that Martin is struggling with. Byron has had issues on and off since we were married. We've been told many things by the doctors but mostly he has been told to get a hobby and reduce his stress level :)

    Who has time for hobbies?!

    Anyway, he suspects things like eggs, wine, beer, sugar, vitamins and msg might play a role but we have no idea for sure. Sometimes he can drink a glass of wine without a problem. Other times......a headache that lasts a few days.

    So, we wish you much strength in dealing with this mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As someone that has benefited GREATLY from things you have shared I say keep doing what you are doing!! If people don't like or don't agree than they don't need to read it, simple as that.

    I really hope and pray that Martin gets some relief, living with chronic pain is NO fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Nic, I have you linked on my side bar of my blog--which is where i have all my frequently read blogs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to hear you're getting someone on your side and trying to get answers to the headaches! I know how trying it has been for you, Martin and your family and pray for healing and relief.

    As far as Facebook, sometimes I read the article if it interests me and sometimes I don't. I find that we do agree on a lot of things (e.g. Dr. Sears approach to parenting and anti-CIO) and when we don't, I just read the article for what it's worth but don't get upset by a differing opinion or would attack you for posting it. But I usually agree so I guess I don't have too much to say usually ;)

    I get to your blog via my favourite bloglist on my blog and then I catch up when I see you've posted something new, when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to add that when I resorted to formula feeding because the exhaustion was leading to a bigger issue for me - post-partum depression, I NEVER felt that you were hard on me for my choice although we both agreed that breastmilk is the best; but you were one of my biggest post-partum period supporter and showed me LOTS of love and grace. You never made me feel like I didn't measure up. I think that quote from Eleanor Roosevelt rings true, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I have always loved that you were self-assured and confident with your knowledge and as a friend, you sharpened me and others to think about things deeper whether medically, spiritually (re: heaven, angels, etc.), etc. When I read some of the comments above, it gives the impression that you stubborn or are all "fact" and have no heart for people's tough situations with breastfeeding, etc. I love you for who you are and you are one of the most honest, kind, loving, assertive (no b-s), and "teachable" people I have met. I find it refreshing to meet someone "real".

    Rose B.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rose - thank you. Your words mean alot to me!! Cheers to you --- you are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read :) I dont take offense. Im quite happy to hear about Martin it gives me hope being a migraine suffer that there might be more i can do then just pop pills. Its crazy how it takes over your life. :(

    ReplyDelete