Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reflections on the Retreat

Just a few things I wanted to get down here before heading to bed after a wonderful wonderful time away at the retreat!!!

1) It's a fantastic way to renew friendships .... it was like being in highschool without all the insecurities. So fun to have a sleepover with Mon, Erika and Tara! Great to catch up with Deb. Definitely missed Andria and Caroline who couldn't be there this year. And all the other gals that were part of my circle of friends........

2) I drank THREE cups of coffee to keep myself awake and alert today!! (if you know me - that's quite something. I don't usually drink coffee. So, okay, this was 3/4 cup of coffee with 3 creamo's and a packet of sugar. ) But hey - it worked!

3) NEVER expect a good sleep at a one-night woman's retreat. Sleep? Ya, right. It's not even the fact that we stayed up so late - we didn't actually. I'm just getting old...... and I like my own bed. :-)

4) It was WONDERFUL to eat food I didn't have to prepare - FOUR WHOLE MEALS!!

5) Alice V's baking was there. 'nuff said.

6) I LOVED the topic and guest speaker ... "Women, God's Design and Definition" by Joyce DeHaan. I have heard her twice before - so really looked forward to this retreat. She did not disappoint. And the message was powerful.

7) Here are a few things that really stuck out for me this weekend about the topic of the retreat:
a) That even though I know what the lies, idols and spirits of this age are, and think I don't believe them, I am still affected by them.

b) That the world teaches us that who we are as God designed us isn't good enough - and that we aren't valuable in and of ourselves.

c) "I am a work in progress"

d) That being content is not synonymous with being happy. That while being happy is a feeling/emotion, being content is a mind thing - an active word. And that Paul writes "I have LEARNED to be content in every situation". He doesn't write "And be content in every situation". It is a LEARNED thing ....not a feeling!

e) That the biggest lie I have bought into is: "You need to have a different body." "I need something new to wear". That even though I understand in my head that God created my uniquely, that the body I have to live in is the body HE gave to me -- and that I don't need to be like all the skinny/slim women I know ..... I STILL struggle with body image, and insecurities (mostly around other women)and that it truly bothers me that I can't just ACCEPT myself like God does!

f) That I am a work in progress ..... :-)

g) That I am chosen by God.

8) There is something profoundly bonding about being emotionally vulnerable with other women of Faith. All these women I spoke with this weekend ....(and it was alot because of the different groups we put ourselves in for the breakout sessions) ... mean something more to me than that they are women of our church community!

9) Andrea - our dramatist is uniquely gifted.

10) The weather was phenomenal. Lots of time spent outside too just soaking in the beautiful sun (VITAMIN D!) and feeling the fresh air. So invigorating! It's a gorgeous place to be - the scenery is fantastic, and such a reminder of the Awesome God we serve! Our room looked out over the Chehalis (?) River, which we could hear all night - rushing by. Just lovely!!

11) I am so impressed with the organizers. What an awful lot of work must go into something of this magnitude. My hat goes off to each woman who contributed in the planning, organizing, decorating, MC'ing, getting sponsors, door prize giveaways, etc etc!! You are a blessing!!

12) It was also certainly special to celebrate my birthday there. They sang happy birthday to me, and I even got to pick "my own birthday present" from the door prize table. I took a book entitled "The 5 Love Needs of Men and Women" by Dr. Gary and Barbara Rosberg. And it was super special to come home and see almost 50 facebook birthday messages!! :-)

13) Ya, I'm almost done.

14) The weekend, as special was it was, was a bit hard for some of us who had special burdens on our hearts. Pastor Schouten and his family are definitely on my mind - and a dear friend's mom's cancer has returned as well. May God be merciful and give grace and peace to all who desparately need it!!

15) Finally - this weekend wouldn't have been possible without the willingness of my own super fantastic, "love him to bits" hubby who held down the fort, took the kids to the Pro-Life Chain in Langley, got tomorrow's birthday lunch prepared, had the house clean when I got home, kids bathed and in bed ....and never once gave me any grief about being gone on my birthday. I LOVE YOU HONEY!

6 comments:

  1. It's so great to see weekends like this put on. I would have LOVED to have gone, but Greg and I were just at the couples' retreat the weekend before, but we were fortunate enough to hear Joyce speak. She IS certainly a gifted woman! I'm glad you enjoyed a period of rejuvenation and refreshment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would definitely be one conference I would have really wanted to attend. Joyce is very trusted in our circles (among elders, deacons, pastors) because we know that she won't undermine our Reformed faith and offer false theology. We know that she won't give worldly counsel. We love her as a speaker and person. She has shed tears with us and has just been such a blessing to us and many. Glad you had a wonderful weekend of encouragement and fellowship.

    Rose Bredenhof

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed it, and really wanted to go, but couldn't. glad to hear it went so well, i won't be missing the next one (hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for summarizing that weekend so well Nicole! It was lots of fun and like you said - being with other gals but minus the insecurities (well most of them anyway :)) I still fretted about not being able to wear my orginal shirt I took because it had a stain I didn't notice. The fretting was all of five minutes though thankfully!! Who really cares?
    Joyce taught us so much and in such a loving, fun way, I am so glad I went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounded like I missed a good one :-( I'm so glad that you thouroughly enjoyed the weekend!! How special to celebrate with your birthday with such great ladies around you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, you said it all so well. I am so glad I went. So glad I met Joyce. We hope to put something like this on for Alberta and Joyce has said she will COME! It was all so to the honor of God our creator, our Lord, Master and Savior. To hear that God was near me, even if it did not always feel that way, was a revelation to me. It is NOT up to me, it is all GOD. I have so enjoyed this retreat. I have lauged and I have shed tears. And I have shared with sisters in Christ and I have met you!
    Gerda Vandenhaak

    ReplyDelete